Seun kuti Wearing Handcuff, When He Was Arrested

A Lagos Chief Magistrate’s Court sitting at Sabo-Yaba, today, further ordered the remand the afrobeat singer, Seun Kuti for four days in police custody, over alleged assault on a Police Officer on the Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos,

Chief Magistrate, Adeola Olatubosun, who presided over the court, made the remand order, following a motion Ex-parte, brought by the police, seeking for an order of the court to remand the defendant in police custody for four days at the State Criminal Investigation Department, (SCID), Yaba Lagos, to enable the police carry out further investigation.

The prosecution team who includes: Deputy Commissioner of Police, Mr. Simon Lough (SAN), Mrs. Yetunde Cardosso, P. A. Egbunike, Umar Bello, Cyril Ajifor,  Mr. Morufu Animashaun, Ayodele Oladiran,  Samsideen A Adebesin, Emmanuel Eze, V. I. Ekperezie and Idowu Osungbure, told court that they filed motion ex-parte supported by 12 paragraphs affidavit with one exhibits attached to it.
Lough (SAN) further told the court that the motion was supported with written address, added that the 12 paragraphs affidavit was deposed to by one ACP Saheed Kassim, one of the Investigating Police Officers (IPOs) attached to State CID, Yaba Lagos.

The Silk told the court that the application was brought pursuant to Sections 264(1) (2),(3),(4) & (6) & 257 of Administration of Criminal Justice Law of Lagos State, 2021 (As Amended), Sections 4 & 10 of the Police Act, 2020 and Sections 6(6), 35(1)(C), (5) & (7)(9) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (As Amended).

The learned silk said, “it is our humble submission that from the facts, nature and circumstance of this case, the applicant is entitle to the relief sought from this honourable court in the interest of justice, public order and morality.

Responding to prosecution team submission, Mr. Femi Akinyemi counsel who held brief of Mr. Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika who prayed the court to stand down the matter. 

But Chief Magistrate Olatubosun declined the lawyer’s request for stand down, but consented to the Prosecution’s demand and granted the prayer for extension of remand order.

Consequently, Chief Magistrate ordered that the defendant be further remanded in police custody for four days. 

The magistrate while adjourning the matter to May 23, also ordered that the case filed be duplicate and forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP).